|Administration block of Southern General Hospital, Glasgow; photograph|
courtesy of ScotlandsPlaces
In 1872 a new 240-bed Poor Law hospital and 180-patient lunatic asylum were built on present-day Merryflats, Govan. Between 1902 and 1905 large expansions provided 700 more beds. When Govan was annexed by Glasgow, the hospital was managed by the Glasgow Parish Council until 1948 when the National Health Service was formed. The hospital was formally renamed Southern General Hospital in 1923. The last poorhouse beds were taken out of use in 1936.