|1896 Opening of the Glasgow Subway; photograph courtesy of the BBC|
The original route was circular making about a six and a half mile loop and was constructed at an average depth of 29 feet below the surface. It passes under the Clyde river on the east and west sides of the loop.
|Glasgow subway; map courtesy of Mike's Railway History|
In 1923 Glasgow Corporation took over operation of the metro. Staff wore the same uniforms as did tramway workers and were dark green with black braid. The uniforms had been introduced at the time of Queen Victoria's funeral in 1901. Those uniforms remained in use until 1977.