Saturday, April 11, 2015

2.3.7.3. John Riddell (1895-1981)

John Riddell was born on 2 January 1895 at 15 Bridge Street in the Partick district of Glasgow to Thomas and Margaret (Brownlee) Riddell. He was their third child and first to live to adulthood. His father was a lorry man at the time of his birth. By 1901 the family had moved to the County of Dunbarton and lived on 102 Glasgow Road in Old Kilpatrick parish. By 1911 the family lived at 27A Barnes Street in the town of Clydebank and John worked as an apprentice blacksmith.

He married Jane Connel Marshall on 20 July 1926 in her hometown of Auchterarder in the County of Perth according to the forms of the United Free Church of Scotland. He was 30 years old, worked as a porter at the Hotel Gleneagles in Blackford and lived at the hotel. It is not known if the couple had children.

Gleneagles Hotel in Blackford, photograph courtesy of RCAHMS
National Collection of Aerial Photography

John was the informant listed on his mother's death registration in 1943. At that time he lived in Auchterarder. He likely died in 1981 at Dunkeld in the County of Perth.

_______________
"Gleneagles Hotel in Blackford," RCAHMS National Collection of Aerial Photograph
1901 Scotland Census, 31/03/1901 Riddell, Thomas (Census 1901 501/00 017/00 014)
1901 Scotland Census, Parish: Old Kilpatrick; ED: 17; Page: 14; Line: 3: Roll: CSSCT1901_173
Scotland, Statutory Registrations, 1855-2013, 1895 Riddell, John (Statutory Births 646/03 0067)
Scotland, Statutory Registrations, 1855-2013, 1926 Riddell, John - Marshal, Jean (Statutory Marriages 329/00 0015)
Scotland, Statutory Registrations Index, 1855-2013, 1981 Riddell, John (388/00 0004)

9 comments:

  1. Dear Schalene,

    John Riddell is my great grandfather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Schalene
    John Riddell is my Grandfather, and by my being here yes he had 3 children and adopted his brother in laws daughter.
    William, Thomas, John Riddell (my father) & Stella. He lived most of his adult life in Auchterarder and district and also worked as a Gardiner Handyman for Millearn Estate, then Storeman in the Royal Naval Workshops and Stores in Almondbank. On retiral he became the green keeper at Auchterarder Golf Course. A quiet man with a strong faith in God and indeed was a Free Church Elder. He was overtaken by dementia and passed away in a hospital for such conditions in Murthly near Dunkeld. He survived his wife Jean my lovely gran. His Children with the exception of Stella are all dead. Willie has one son John and lived latterly in Australia. Thomas had no Children. John (my Dad called Ian) had only me with his wife Isobel (nee Kinghorn) of 50+ years.. I have one Daughter Louise Sarah and one son Colin John who are a teacher and software engineer respectively. I am Colin Edward, married to Margaret (nee Livingstone) for 42 years and live in Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire. it is my son Colin who is conducting this search. Stella is 77 years and trained as a nurse and is married to John Ferrier retired optician and they have 4 children Johnny, Gillian, Colin & Stephen (twins) all opticians by profession except Stephen who is high up in Dentistry in Canada. For myself, I was a Mechanic, Engineer, Sales Manager and now run a small sales agency for Electrical equipment and will retire this year at 67 years. Colin jnr and I were delighted to see your all consuming interest in your/our family. I hope the above is of interest to you and I'm sure you will hear more from Colin jnr...
    All they very best to you and yours. Colin Edward Riddell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John, Sorry to be so long in replying:
    I do not understand which John Riddell you are???
    Colin Edward Riddell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Thomas's(Tam) Son. Tam eas married to Helen Scobbie. My dad had a brother Will who worked for the council and brother Ian who was a postie. I still stay in Auchterarder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, So sorry, forgot about you,I remember you as a wee lad.I am Ian's (the postie's) son Colin and use to live originally at 43 Rossie Place, then just before I left Auchterarder at Milton Crescent. Now live in Bonnybridge.

      Delete
  5. Hi John,
    Again my apologies for being slow on replies.Obviously we are full cousins. Your auntie Stella is still to the fore and lives near Kinross. Where in Auchterarder do you live, what age are you now and have you any family?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Colin.

    Good to hear from you. I stay in Ruthven Street. I work at Auchterarder Golf Club. I'm 52. My birthday is new years day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would be good to meet sometime. Met Stella at my Father's funeral.

    ReplyDelete