|Lim Kiln Ruin Recently Rediscovered in East Kilbride; photograph courtesy|
Limestone mining was at its peak when coal was king in Lanarkshire. Ground limestone, or marl, was used in the mines to cover up fine coal dust, which help prevent coal dust explosions.
Rev. Henry Moncrief wrote about the geology of East Kilbride Parish in 1840, "Limestone rocks abound in this parish...occur chiefly in plies or beds from 3 to 7 to 10 feet in thickness...There are lime works at Braehead, Linnekilns, Thornton, Thornton Hall, and elsewhere...Roman cement is found in various places and is worked to a considerable extent."